PDA

View Full Version : So You Don't Believe In Lake Effect Snow?

Jeff '79
12-09-2017, 10:23pm
Watch the radar for the next 18 hours.
The moisture sucks up from the lake, turns to snow, and follows the prevailing wind.
Lake effect? If it wasn't lake effect, the snow would be blowing in from Canada across Lake Erie. It's not.... The radar clearly shows the demarcation pomt of the snow, denoted by that big blue blob moving north east onto land towards us.
Lake effect is real.
Until you see it, you prolly won't believe it.
:groupwave::banana1::groupwave:

New York Weather on WGRZ in Buffalo (http://www.wgrz.com/weather)

markids77
12-09-2017, 10:27pm
Only people who live South of: say Newark don't believe in Lake Effect snow. Feck 'em... they don't have to shovel the shit. They are misinformed.

lspencer534
12-09-2017, 10:38pm
Hey! I'm from Mississippi, and I believe in lake-effect snow. The coldest I've even been was in Cleveland, Ohio: Ir was 3 degrees when I landed there...and that was the high temp that day. My toes didn't warm up until I got back to Bowling Green, KY.

m and t's77
12-09-2017, 11:28pm
Hey! I'm from Mississippi, and I believe in lake-effect snow. The coldest I've even been was in Cleveland, Ohio: Ir was 3 degrees when I landed there...and that was the high temp that day. My toes didn't warm up until I got back to Bowling Green, KY.

That's just sweatshirt weather.was stilling wearing shorts last week in the upper thirties.
:dance:

Montehall
12-10-2017, 1:59am
I believe

Kerrmudgeon
12-10-2017, 2:11am
They all just like to blame Canada for stuff! :rofl:

Weather usually moves west to east......:yesnod:

Jeff '79
12-10-2017, 6:53am
Only people who live South of: say Newark don't believe in Lake Effect snow. Feck 'em... they don't have to shovel the shit. They are misinformed.

I believe

:rofl::rofl:

mrvette
12-10-2017, 8:59am
My cousin lives in Elmira....nuff said.....

ToolMaker
12-10-2017, 9:11am

I can attest to that! :seasix:

69camfrk
12-10-2017, 9:13am
I believe in magic!!:dance:

https://youtu.be/mDYNuD4CwlI

Broken Wind
12-10-2017, 9:41am
Never realized it was something to believe in or not. Who the **** doesn’t believe in it?

Olustee bus
12-10-2017, 9:41am
Oh I believe in it. What I have trouble believing is why anyone would live where it occurs.

J/K, I know there are great places where it occurs.

Fasglas
12-10-2017, 10:28am
I believe it.:yesnod:

I also believe it should STAY up there for those who seem to enjoy it so much.

Fact.

Stangkiller
12-10-2017, 11:46am
Never realized it was something to believe in or not. Who the **** doesn’t believe in it?

:iagree: and I’ve never even been in it.

MrPeabody
12-10-2017, 12:23pm
My wife grew up in Watertown, NY. She believes in it.:yesnod:

OddBall
12-10-2017, 12:25pm

The lake effect obviously starts on the Canadian side of the lake. At the whim of the Canadians, no doubt.

Jeff '79
12-10-2017, 12:33pm
The lake effect obviously starts on the Canadian side of the lake. At the whim of the Canadians, no doubt.

The cold air starts in Canada, and wile moving across the lake, picks up the warm water and dumps it on us like you see in the pics.
That is happening now.
Check out the radar if you wanna see it. The dark blue bands are heavy snow
I'm in East Aurora. Right to the left of EA is Orchard Park, where the Bills play at 1pm.
That ought to look cool on TV... :cool1:

You can't tell from the pics, but it is falling hard and fast.
That looks to be a 2" per hour fall rate. Ugh...:shots:

8Up
12-10-2017, 12:55pm
When I was a little kid and we were living south of Syracuse it snowed so much the plows blocked the driveway up with a 15' snow bank. My dad had an old VW bug, like a 59 and he dug a tunnel through the snow at the end of the drive so he could get the bug out and go to work a Niagara Mohawk. I must have been 3 or 4.

Jeff '79
12-10-2017, 1:17pm
I just plowed around 4 - 6 inches and plan to do it again before dark.
Check out the Bills game. It is snowing like a mofo.

snide
12-10-2017, 1:37pm

We like to fvck with you, because we can. :yesnod:

marrepka
12-10-2017, 1:44pm

Same folks that believe the earth is flat

Stangkiller
12-10-2017, 2:09pm

Oh sure let’s just blame Canada
https://youtu.be/bOR38552MJA

Thunder22
12-10-2017, 3:12pm

:iagree: I've never heard of anyone not acknowledging that it's a thing.

mrvette
12-10-2017, 4:07pm
I think folks don't wanna believe because they think of the great lakes as some pond on a map, and can't relate to the sheer SIZE of ANY of them....

they need take a vacation and drive around a bit from time to time, and then head to NIAGARA FALLS, for a hint...... Family lived in Cleveland, and so trips when I was a kid old enough to appreciate the sites.....and then much later on, some business trips....them lakes have as much water as some Oceans....
and have sunk ocean liners in weather.....

SO, BS, they can't create weather patterns.....:dance:

snide
12-10-2017, 5:24pm
I think folks don't wanna believe because they think of the great lakes as some pond on a map, and can't relate to the sheer SIZE of ANY of them....

I've driven around Lake Superior a couple of times. It's a big lake. :yesnod:

OddBall
12-10-2017, 5:55pm
We like to fvck with you, because we can. :yesnod:

Oh sure let’s just blame Canada
https://youtu.be/bOR38552MJA

Those damn Canuckistanitonianites. You gotta watch 'em. They'll quaff your lager and correct your spelling.

...and unload their snowflakes on you.

JRD77VET
12-10-2017, 9:14pm
If the winds blows just the right direction, the right speed with the correct temperature, we get lake effect snow here from Lake Erie.

Friends of ours live in Clayton NY ( north of Watertown, NY ) right along the St Lawrence River. They check radar before heading to Watertown and check radar again before heading home. They look for "snow snakes" coming off Lake Ontario .

They said it cane be clear at one spot and you'll drive into a heavy snow storm where it's dumping multiple inches per hour. You'll drive another 5 or so miles out of it and have clear blue skies :crazy:

Bill
12-10-2017, 10:42pm
I still believe.

The Lost Boys - Soundtrack - I Still Believe - By Tim Cappello - - YouTube

Bill
12-10-2017, 10:47pm
Those damn Canuckistanitonianites. You gotta watch 'em. They'll quaff your lager and correct your spelling.

Build. It.

.....and send Bieber back by trebuchet.

Kerrmudgeon
12-10-2017, 10:52pm

:rofl:.......damn Yankees. :D

WalkerInTN
12-10-2017, 11:26pm
I live near a lake & we don't get lake effect snow. Must be a Canada border issue eh? :leaving:

Y'all get to ride snowmobiles up there, so you got that going. And winter cars. :cert:

VITE1
12-11-2017, 7:40am

Lewis Black Canadian Wall - YouTube

OddBall
12-11-2017, 8:55am

Damned maybe, but Yankee? Ain't no reason to call me a Yankee. Them's hurtful words. :funny:

Fasglas
12-11-2017, 9:32am
I live near a lake & we don't get lake effect snow. Must be a Canada border issue eh? :leaving:

Y'all get to ride snowmobiles up there, so you got that going. And winter cars. :cert:

They plug 'em in and they're not electric or even PC. They've done that since BEFORE it was "fashionable".

http://www.bulletin.uwaterloo.ca/images/2008/0311bigsnow.jpg

WalkerInTN
12-11-2017, 10:03am
They plug 'em in and they're not electric or even PC. They've done that since BEFORE it was "fashionable".

http://www.bulletin.uwaterloo.ca/images/2008/0311bigsnow.jpg

Yep, the last truck I ordered had the option to order the engine block heater. Since I was living in Texas, I just chuckled & left that one blank. :seasix:

I was just thinking about all the dedicated winter beaters up north. :cert:

Cybercowboy
12-11-2017, 10:57am
Why would anyone believe that the Great Lakes don't effect winter weather patterns? They are huge bodies of water, of course they do.