PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Xmas Present

Norm
12-08-2017, 5:38pm
Was commissioned by this veteran's wife to build a shadow box. Relying on the Mrs. for info regarding his service, had to do a little research on the info given to me on his DD214, as most of you veteran's know, lots of times they are not complete with all the units served in, so I do the best with what I have.

To give you an idea what the cost is of this project, just material alone is $340. I am reimbursed for that, but I accept no remuneration for my efforts, just the satisfaction of completing one and will be cherished by the recipient and family is plenty for me.

Not worried about not being a surprise by posting, the veteran is not a Corvette enthusiast.............but will be when I get done with him. :D

snide
12-08-2017, 5:39pm
Nice work. :thumbs::thumbs:

:cheers:

Barn Babe
12-08-2017, 5:45pm
That's awesome! :cool:

WalkerInTN
12-08-2017, 5:57pm
Way cool! :patriot:

GentleBen
12-08-2017, 6:22pm
The only thing that could have made this better is a Distinctive Unit Insignia (DUI) aka "Unit Crest" from every organization in which the Sergeant served.

You would need a copy of his Form 2-1 for a running history of his career but those shiny bits of metal and ceramics mean something to a career soldier.

Loco Vette
12-08-2017, 6:43pm
Props

Norm
12-08-2017, 7:24pm
The only thing that could have made this better is a Distinctive Unit Insignia (DUI) aka "Unit Crest" from every organization in which the Sergeant served.

You would need a copy of his Form 2-1 for a running history of his career but those shiny bits of metal and ceramics mean something to a career soldier.

There's actually three DUI's on there, the two up top (198th Signal Battalion First Regiment of First State Unit Crest), one above the unit commendation above the name tag (Army Signal Regimental Corps Crest) , and one just to the upper left of that (280th Signal Battalion Unit Crest).

There was no Form 2-1 among his records, just the DD214 and an old photo of him in dress greens. That's all I had to work with........

Dan Dlabay
12-08-2017, 7:46pm
That is really good of you to do things like this for our veterans. Looks good.:cert:

Brubie
12-08-2017, 7:56pm
Outstanding job Norm.

JRD77VET
12-08-2017, 8:02pm

To give you an idea what the cost is of this project, just material alone is $340. I am reimbursed for that, but I accept no remuneration for my efforts, just the satisfaction of completing one and will be cherished by the recipient and family is plenty for me.

Beautiful work Norm. :USA:

Part of the cost is brand new medals and patches? Any problem procuring certain medals?

Norm
12-08-2017, 8:37pm
Beautiful work Norm. :USA:

Part of the cost is brand new medals and patches? Any problem procuring certain medals?

Except for two or three items, all were purchased new. You can get just about any medal/ribbon on line except TMOH (rightfully so, would never attempt anyhow). Just not one vendor handles all, really have to spread it out to about a 1/2 dozen or more to get what's needed.

DAB
12-08-2017, 9:33pm
Very nice.

No pledge pin?! :slap:

Norm
12-09-2017, 10:24am
Very nice.

No pledge pin?! :slap:

Sorry Neidermeyer, not today............:D

Olustee bus
12-09-2017, 11:26am
Good job and great thing to do.

mrvette
12-09-2017, 1:00pm
I remember as a kid in Bethesda Md/burb of Wash DC, there was a shop on Wisc ave called Super Surplus....no electronic gear, but almost anything else...including a display case full of every .mil medal/crest/sleeve we could imagine...at one point there even was a Cong. MOH there, and some stink was raised about that one.....I dunno the outcome of the stink, but it was there only a few daze and gawn.....I was in like single digit grade screwal....

:dance::datawiz:

Norm
12-09-2017, 1:05pm
I vaguely recall that or someplace else. Not supposed to be on display commercially..........., museums, vet org's., military functions, etc., yes.