PDA

View Full Version : Story Regarding Gov't I Was Told Last Night...Opinions?

Iron Chef
12-06-2017, 10:53am
Last night I left work late and I didn't feel like cooking, so I decided to stop at a local bistro/pub for dinner. I was eating at the bar and struck up a conversation with a woman sitting next to me (no pics, and she wasn't all that great looking). She said she was out visiting her mom but told me that she's a mid-level program manager at the Dept of Health in another state. She said she was in the running for a position with Homeland Security in DC that deals in Human Trafficking. That she had had a 2 1/2 hour phone interview the night before from starting at 8PM, and that next week they were sending a private government jet down to fly her up to DC for a day to "meet people."

I don't have experience with the OMB, but my BS meter started to peg, though I didn't make mention of it. Her friend showed up just as I finished my meal, I wished her well and left.

Now I know that governement wastes money, but it makes absolutely no sense that they would even consider sending a private jet down for a mid-level manager at a state agency or have 2+ hour phone interviews after hours. I just don't think DC does things that way. I'm calling complete BS on this story.

Opinions? :bigears:

VatorMan
12-06-2017, 11:05am
After the fiasco with IRS and GSA, I'd like to say that's BS. You never know tho.

Our key word is optics or-can this project withstand a tweet from Trump ? lol

DAB
12-06-2017, 11:05am
private jet? ha! every time i've had to fly on .gov dime, it's been cheapest commercial flight available.

Cybercowboy
12-06-2017, 11:11am
Sounds like a self-aggrandizing low level bureaucrat spinning yarns.

Stevedore
12-06-2017, 11:28am
As a retired fed, I'd suspect it's BS. The office I worked in frequently interviewed GS14/15 & SES candidates, & I never heard of them getting paid for their travel. About 25 yrs ago, while in NJ, I was a candidate for a 15 job in VA, had some phone conversations, but all I heard was "We might need you to take a run down here one day", with no mention of official travel orders. (They later converted the position to military anyway; some COL got it.)

StaticCling
12-06-2017, 11:31am
:hide:

boracayjohnny
12-06-2017, 11:42am
A private jet to pick her up? Yeaaaa, she should've had brown hair due to her being full of shit.

Yet, I've seen some strange things the .gov will do but her story has a very, very small chance of being true. Further, you should take these numbers and buy a lottery ticket... 4, 8, 22, 29, 31, 38. You heard it from me first. :D

FasterTraffic
12-06-2017, 11:46am
Maybe "Private Jet" is the name of the shared van service they're sending for her.

Fasglas
12-06-2017, 12:00pm
Sounds like a self-aggrandizing low level bureaucrat spinning yarns.

Pretty much the way I see it as well.
:yesnod:

Broken Wind
12-06-2017, 12:03pm
Utter horseshite. Guar-an-damn-teed.

Hoog
12-06-2017, 12:04pm
Life has led me to believe any stranger I strike up a conversation with at a bar...is full of shit. Only their quality of dress/grooming goes up/down based on the establishment.

Norm
12-06-2017, 1:04pm
Maybe a G-ride jet for a head cabinet level position, other than that....BS.

MrPeabody
12-06-2017, 1:06pm
I have a relative who was interviewed for a job at the DOJ. She had just graduated from law school and had not even passed the bar exam yet. They did pay her way to travel to DC, but no private jet. This was in the 90s. No telling what they are doing now. We have people in cabinet positions that think of private charter planes the way we peasants think of Uber.

Defib1961
12-06-2017, 1:12pm
Your BS meter is functioning perfectly well. By the way, did I tell you about the diamond mine I bought?

WalkerInTN
12-06-2017, 1:23pm
Private jet = Greyhound. :seasix:

OddBall
12-06-2017, 1:25pm
Of course she is telling you the truth. Has a woman in a bar ever lied to you? Ever??
A woman in a bar is there to cultivate new relationships, and that can only be done through candid and open honesty.

I typed that with a straight face too......well, mostly.

MrPeabody
12-06-2017, 1:28pm
Of course she is telling you the truth. Has a woman in a bar ever lied to you? Ever??
A woman in a bar is there to cultivate new relationships, and that can only be done through candid and open honesty.

I typed that with a straight face too......well, mostly.

Iron Chef has all the luck. All I ever get sitting next to me at bars are ex Navy SEALS and Green Berets. All of them war heroes.:yesnod:

Iron Chef
12-06-2017, 1:34pm
She was looking to impress you so she could get some of the good Chef lovin'. :D

Her standards are pretty low then. :rofl:

Iron Chef has all the luck. All I ever get sitting next to me at bars are ex Navy SEALS and Green Berets. All of them war heroes.:yesnod:

You didn't miss much...believe me.

Thanks. Just needed to make sure the BS meter was still in good order. :seasix:

Kevin_73
12-06-2017, 1:36pm
Mike,
This story reminds me of the woman (creature) in Razoos who thought you looked like Newt Gingrich and chased us out to the parking lot. :funniest:

You sure do attract some weird ones!

NCC-1701
12-06-2017, 1:42pm
PURE B.S.:seasix:

OddBall
12-06-2017, 2:00pm
Mike,
This story reminds me of the woman (creature) in Razoos who thought you looked like Newt Gingrich and chased us out to the parking lot. :funniest:

Do tell. :bigears: :waiting:

Iron Chef
12-06-2017, 2:25pm
Mike,

Story of my fukkin' life. Remember "HEYYYY I KNOW THAT DOG!!!!"

Now go crawl back under your rock. :kimblair:

Do tell. :bigears: :waiting:

Do NOT tell. :ack:

DAB
12-06-2017, 2:26pm
:toetap:

DAB
12-06-2017, 2:26pm
it can't be as bad as torching a gazebo or filling up the harbor with gasoline.:rofl:

Kevin_73
12-06-2017, 2:40pm
Story of my fukkin' life. Remember "HEYYYY I KNOW THAT DOG!!!!"

Now go crawl back under your rock. :kimblair:

Do NOT tell. :ack:

:funniest::funniest::funniest:

I do have a quite number of funny stories that involve you, but fear not, I will not tell any more here today. :lol:

OddBall
12-06-2017, 3:00pm
AWWWWW, C'mon!

OK, I'll start. Coming back from a Charlotte car show, me and a buddy stopped in Statesville for something to eat. (Statesville is where they hung Tom Dooley (actually, Tom Dula)). Anyway, I had never been to a Hooters, so my buddy stops at the Hooters in Statesville.

For all the Hooters in all the towns that the Hooters chain has a restaurant in; my first ever visit had to be in the Town of Statesville, NC. Were I had the honor and distinction of having serve me, the only PREGNANT Hooter's gal in the whole damn chain. And to rub it in, she leaves me her number on my receipt.

I still hear about that one.

Milton Fox
12-06-2017, 3:04pm
We were in San Antonio on the Riverwalk for Mrs Fox's brothers wedding. It was around lunch time and Mrs Fox's mom was getting hungry. She is a very conserative Southern Baptist. Well she noticed a group eating chicken wings as we are walking by a resturant and decides that is were we should eat. Yep - it was a brand new Hooters. :D

mrvette
12-06-2017, 3:25pm
We were in San Antonio on the Riverwalk for Mrs Fox's brothers wedding. It was around lunch time and Mrs Fox's mom was getting hungry. She is a very conserative Southern Baptist. Well she noticed a group eating chicken wings as we are walking by a resturant and decides that is were we should eat. Yep - it was a brand new Hooters. :D

Riverwalk, every time I hear that name or San Antonio I think of the last time we saw my old HS buddy some years ago.....drove from Ft. Worth to there with him/wife and we had a blast...largest photo on our LR wall is of one of the bridges there.....we stayed at a high bux/name hotel....a GRAND week's time on that trip....Ken is gone some years now.....a lady here who was a moderator stopped by and left a note on his house...but I never heard from Lilly or his kids....:sadangel:

FasterTraffic
12-06-2017, 4:03pm

Was she offended... by the substandard food and premium pricing?

69camfrk
12-06-2017, 4:44pm
No Chef, I'm betting completely legit. The .gov flew me first class on a private jet (707) to the island of Crete in 2012 for a 2.5 month vacation....errr....I mean work. I had my own private bunk to rack out in, which I did, a galley which was self serve, and they didn't care if I rode in the cockpit. My airplane had a wicked radar unit which does amazing things. Talk about fortunate. And yes, that story is absolutely true!!! And, I had about 30 of my best buddies on that plane! Picture of airplane....now!!:D:dance:

69camfrk
12-06-2017, 4:49pm
AWWWWW, C'mon!

OK, I'll start. Coming back from a Charlotte car show, me and a buddy stopped in Statesville for something to eat. (Statesville is where they hung Tom Dooley (actually, Tom Dula)). Anyway, I had never been to a Hooters, so my buddy stops at the Hooters in Statesville.

For all the Hooters in all the towns that the Hooters chain has a restaurant in; my first ever visit had to be in the Town of Statesville, NC. Were I had the honor and distinction of having serve me, the only PREGNANT Hooter's gal in the whole damn chain. And to rub it in, she leaves me her number on my receipt.

I still hear about that one.

You should've seen what a gift Whorse you actually received. I mean hell, she was already knocked up. You were not gonna re knock her up, and good ol pregnant pu$$y is the best stuff on the planet. I hope you called her back. Seriously!!:seasix:

69camfrk
12-06-2017, 4:53pm
A private jet to pick her up? Yeaaaa, she should've had brown hair due to her being full of shit.

Yet, I've seen some strange things the .gov will do but her story has a very, very small chance of being true. Further, you should take these numbers and buy a lottery ticket... 4, 8, 22, 29, 31, 38. You heard it from me first. :D

Being to tough on people here Johnny. I mean for real man, how many times did Uncle Sugar put you and a few of your buddies on a private jet and send you around the world on great trips. C'mon friend, fess up!!!!!:seasix: