PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with IATA shipping of LiIon batteries?

Aerovette
12-04-2017, 6:43pm
I just received certification for my company and in spite of the courses taken, I am still unclear of the definitions in some cases. Anyone here have experience with shipping goods with a lithium-ion battery installed in a device?

UN3481 Pack instruction 967

Black94lt1
12-04-2017, 7:31pm
I know IATA pretty well, and am trained, but not the LI stuff, that has been changing too frequently to stay up on. I can look at the packing instructions though to see if I can help

Aerovette
12-04-2017, 7:53pm
I know IATA pretty well, and am trained, but not the LI stuff, that has been changing too frequently to stay up on. I can look at the packing instructions though to see if I can help

That's great ! Thank you.

11 boxes - one pallet of 6 one pallet of 5
10 boxes contain three inner boxes with a ruggedized pelican case containing a device using a 9.14Wh LiIon battery.
1 box will contain four inner boxes with a peilcan case containing a device with a battery.

Essentially one pallet will have a total of 18 batteries. The other pallet will have 16 batteries.

UN3481 - PI 967

My question is whether we can palletize this way, or if we have to break it down into more pallets of fewer devices.

THANK YOU !!

label on each bigger box will be this one...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71o4nYrzbmL._SY355_.jpg

boracayjohnny
12-04-2017, 8:28pm
Get with your shipper FedEx, UPS, or whomever. They will have all the current info.

Mike Mercury
12-04-2017, 9:36pm
Get with your shipper FedEx, UPS, or whomever. They will have all the current info.

That is what we did at work. Fed-Ex and UPS both just asked us to check the box in their shipping software stating that there are Li-Ion batteries in the shipment.

But, we never ship by air (well... not intentionally).

Black94lt1
12-04-2017, 11:27pm
It looks like the keys to those packing instructions are:

-The batteries are installed in equipment
-20/100 WH max
-5kg passenger/35 kg cargo max
-if more than 2 batteries per container, handling label is required (I assume that is the label you show)

Based on this, I’m thinking your plan to palletize is mostly dependent of the weight of the batteries. I agree, talk to your courier.

Edit, I keep thinking I should take the lithium battery specific course, is that what you took or was it general IATA?

Aerovette
12-05-2017, 1:57pm
It looks like the keys to those packing instructions are:

-The batteries are installed in equipment
-20/100 WH max
-5kg passenger/35 kg cargo max
-if more than 2 batteries per container, handling label is required (I assume that is the label you show)

Based on this, I’m thinking your plan to palletize is mostly dependent of the weight of the batteries. I agree, talk to your courier.

Edit, I keep thinking I should take the lithium battery specific course, is that what you took or was it general IATA?

I didn't take the battery specific course. We did purchase a Lithium Battery Wizard license that is "supposed to" step you through the process but it isn't very thorough. It is subject to interpretation.

Black94lt1
12-05-2017, 4:46pm
I didn't take the battery specific course. We did purchase a Lithium Battery Wizard license that is "supposed to" step you through the process but it isn't very thorough. It is subject to interpretation.

I think almost all of DOT and IATA is subject to interpretation, especially when you work in the research world like I do. How to to regulate/classify something that was just created!

boracayjohnny
12-05-2017, 5:33pm
I think almost all of DOT and IATA is subject to interpretation, especially when you work in the research world like I do. How to to regulate/classify something that was just created!

Or if it's military under certain parameters, the movement will happen...period. :D

Aerovette
12-05-2017, 5:37pm

The total battery weight for the entire two pallets is only about 3.15lbs so we are well below any insanely special requirements. The plan is to label with the Lithium Ion label and a label indicated UN3841 and Pack instruction 967 Section II on each box on the pallets and let it go at that. There is just so much due diligence that can be done with information that is so subject to interpretation.

Thanks for your feedback and input. :cert:

Black94lt1
12-05-2017, 8:28pm
Don’t forget the class 9 label

Aerovette
12-05-2017, 11:46pm
Don’t forget the class 9 label

Shouldn't need Class 9 labeling. I'll re-check that.

Black94lt1
12-06-2017, 7:30am
Shouldn't need Class 9 labeling. I'll re-check that.

I think you're right, they consistently refer to the batteries as a Class 9 hazard, but none of the guides mention a label needed

UPS has a relatively nice guide with flowcharts if you have not seen it.

https://www.ups.com/media/news/en/pack_ship_batteries.pdf

Black94lt1
12-06-2017, 6:27pm
I just received a package in the mail today with installed batteries, it has the 3481 label above and no class 9