PDA

View Full Version : Transmission problems Need some advise guys.

CertInsaneC5
11-19-2009, 6:03pm
99 FRC with 107K on the clock. Looks like the 4th gear synchro is shot.

Do I need a new tranny?

Can that synchro be fixed without the trans being pulled? If so or not, should the other sunchro's be replaced at the same time?

What is this gonna cost me?

TIA. :cheers:

Y2Kvert4me
11-19-2009, 6:16pm
Get in touch with RPM, or better yet, get the car there for a correct diagnosis...they're not too far down the road from you.

RPM Transmissions T56 T-56 4L60E 4L65E (http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/)

Rodney is one of the best, and he will tell you straight-up what it needs and the best way to get it done. Suffice it to say if it is a syncro problem...yes, the trans will have to come out.

:cheers:

CertInsaneC5
11-19-2009, 6:44pm
Get in touch with RPM, or better yet, get the car there for a correct diagnosis...they're not too far down the road from you.

RPM Transmissions T56 T-56 4L60E 4L65E (http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/)

Rodney is one of the best, and he will tell you straight-up what it needs and the best way to get it done. Suffice it to say if it is a syncro problem...yes, the trans will have to come out.

:cheers:

Thanks man. Got some decent shops up here in The Fort. I would take it to RPM if I had the time. But not an option right now. I will give Rodney a call tommorow and see what he says. That way, I have some ammo/info to talk with the guys up here. Never hurts.

jeff w
11-19-2009, 7:01pm
That sux. I thought the c5 tranny was supposed to be bulletproof.

OBXFunn
11-19-2009, 7:50pm
C5 trans isn't even BB gun proof

chargedc5
02-11-2010, 12:58pm
C5 trans isn't even BB gun proof

:rofl:I had to have rebuilt as well!

Cobra4B
02-16-2010, 9:00am
That sux. I thought the c5 tranny was supposed to be bulletproof.
It's an 11 year old sportscar with over 100k miles on it, probably a few hard shifts in that period you think? Nothing is bullet-proof forever.

The gearbox is actually a very robust unit when compared to the factory offerings in other cars, but like anything you can upgrade.

IMO if you're going to have to yank the box to replace a few things, just get a basic performance rebuild at RPM since you're so close. Since you have to do all the work to get it box out fix it once and fix it right.

If you're on a time crunch then don't speed shift into 4th and drive around the issue until you can fix it right.