Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2024, 3:08pm   #161
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 50.6%

Thanked 7,926 Times in 3,540 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
This is the very predictable result I posted about probably eight years ago now. You cannot have a system that requires no attention 99.9% of the time but requires immediate intervention .1% of the time. Such a system is inherently dangerous because it ignores the realities of human nature.
But... but... you have to touch a button saying that you'll pay attention!!!!
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 3:12pm   #162
ThePirate
Barn Stall Owner #107
Activity: 1.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1793

I paid $99.00 to use the FSD for a month. I enjoyed it very much except for a few problems. Most here simply want to argue with EV drivers about things other than FSD on EVs. I found the experience like a one-trick pony. It was fun, amazing, and scary - all at once. I wouldn't take my hands off the steering wheel for a second. BUT once you verbally tell the car where you want to go, it gets you there. Stops at red lights. Starts when the light turns green when yoiu're the first in line or when the cars in front of you start. Changes lanes when traffic in the lane you are in is going too slow.Turns on turn signal when changing, when it's getting off at an exit and does it safely.

Now saying all that I wouldn't get in the back seat and let the car drive itself. I had a couple of phantom braking occurences when the road ahead presented some unusual situattions. On one occasion when going down the road, a carwwas turning left and crossing my lane about 400 yards in front of me and my car started braking - not slamming on the brakes but slowing down when nnot expected.

The other braking problem I experienced was on a divided highway with a street coming from the right. Also there was a vegetable vendor just off my lane also about 400 yds ahead with cars around it off the road.. My car started braking, vearing left and right slightly while the FSD driving was trying to figure out what was in front of it. It was no where near what you could say was out of control - more like an old lady driver. Neither event was dangerous, just unexpected. I took control each time, and I'm sure that the car would have returned to regular speed had I not took over. No danger at all. Getting on and off the highway, making turns when it should have, speeding up and slowing down perfectly was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
So how can it work when there are temporary lane restrictions, lower speed limits, etc. for short term work, an accident, etc? Those aren't, and can't be, in any database.

There were a couple of lanes barricaded during my trip and the car handled everyone perfectly. Cones, Jersey barricades, etc were all handled just as I would have steered though them. It does make you nervous when it is doing the actual driving though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
It reads the signs and recognizes barriers without an issue. It just has issues with CONDITIONAL signs like the one with a flashing light.
I have taken FSD through construction zones with barriers and temporary speed limits and the car handled it just fine.

Agree.

Quote:
You are living in the past. Phantom braking is long gone. It was a thing for a while after they got rid of Lidar.
Of course they shouldn't have liability if driver fails to monitor the system as required. It is a beta product. You can choose not to use it. It's completely optional. The only way to refine the system is with more real world data and the only way to get that data is with a large number of drivers using it.

Phantom braking still exists but not when you simply are driving down the road. It never slammed the brakes on but slowed down quickly. There has to be something going on that would cause you to slowdown yourself without FSD.

Quote:
That's not phantom braking. That is justified braking. Phantom braking is when the car brakes for an apparent reason. A construction zone or an emergency vehicle on the side of the road is a VALID reason to slow down. Obviously, I'm not talking about cones on the SIDE of the road but in one of the travel lanes, something that happens when there is construction.

I'd call phantom braking slowing down quickly and safely.

All this being said I did not renew it for the next month. Too much of a novelty now. Plus my AH was puckered up much of the time, worried that the car would simply drive off the road, or into the car ahead of you. BUT it never did anything stupid or dangerous. AT 80 mph with a semi on my left and barricades making you merge on my right it handled well but I was ready to takeover in an instant - not relaxing.

My most obvious bitch was that the car wouldn't go faster than the speed limit until I discovered how to adjust it to do so. Once I set it up it would go as fast as the car in front of me, or if that car was going slower than I wanted, it automatically changed lanes, sped up to my set speed, and continued down the road very safely.
ThePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePirate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 3:22pm   #163
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Look at that... someone came along and gave an actual honest assessment and first hand information with positive and negative aspects as opposed to dismissing all of the negatives or twisting and deflecting them into some asinine strawman.

I guess it actually can be done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 3:26pm   #164
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 69.7%

Thanked 19,037 Times in 8,454 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Where am I paying a monthly bill and being tracked?
No cell phone old man? Just a land line?
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 3:30pm   #165
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21

Quote:
Your phone is still listening to you and your location is being tracked, even if GPS is off.
And if you're using a regular Android phone or an iPhone then Google and/or Apple still track you - because the privacy settings only apply to third-party apps, not to Goole or Apple themselves.

Old 05-17-2024, 3:32pm   #166
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
My smartphone camera is not watching me. I’m sure.
Electrical tape FTW.
Old 05-17-2024, 5:41pm   #167
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 24,859 Times in 11,293 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
AT THE CLOSING, nobody or virtually nobody reads the entire documents like all the title stuff etc. Most TRUST their title agent that what you are signing is the same as what you reviewed at home prior to the closing. You are NOT signing the copy that was sent to you. You are signing the copy that is presented to you at the closing. While unlikely, it could be different.
You are completely WRONG. Maybe YOU don't read the documents at the closing table, but most do. Not "nobody or virtually nobody".

Again most are done remotely either via a mailout package or through electronic signatures via DocuSign or a similar program.

If you believe that there is a possibility that what you were sent for review prior to closing is different, then you should absolutely read the documents before signing.

How many real estate closings have you been a party to? And how long ago was your last closing?
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 5:43pm   #168
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bob View Post
You have a cell phone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
No cell phone old man? Just a land line?
Yes I have an Iphone.
Old 05-17-2024, 8:17pm   #169
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePirate View Post
I paid $99.00 to use the FSD for a month. I enjoyed it very much except for a few problems. Most here simply want to argue with EV drivers about things other than FSD on EVs. I found the experience like a one-trick pony. It was fun, amazing, and scary - all at once. I wouldn't take my hands off the steering wheel for a second. BUT once you verbally tell the car where you want to go, it gets you there. Stops at red lights. Starts when the light turns green when yoiu're the first in line or when the cars in front of you start. Changes lanes when traffic in the lane you are in is going too slow.Turns on turn signal when changing, when it's getting off at an exit and does it safely.

Now saying all that I wouldn't get in the back seat and let the car drive itself. I had a couple of phantom braking occurences when the road ahead presented some unusual situattions. On one occasion when going down the road, a carwwas turning left and crossing my lane about 400 yards in front of me and my car started braking - not slamming on the brakes but slowing down when nnot expected.

The other braking problem I experienced was on a divided highway with a street coming from the right. Also there was a vegetable vendor just off my lane also about 400 yds ahead with cars around it off the road.. My car started braking, vearing left and right slightly while the FSD driving was trying to figure out what was in front of it. It was no where near what you could say was out of control - more like an old lady driver. Neither event was dangerous, just unexpected. I took control each time, and I'm sure that the car would have returned to regular speed had I not took over. No danger at all. Getting on and off the highway, making turns when it should have, speeding up and slowing down perfectly was fun.

There were a couple of lanes barricaded during my trip and the car handled everyone perfectly. Cones, Jersey barricades, etc were all handled just as I would have steered though them. It does make you nervous when it is doing the actual driving though.

Agree.

Phantom braking still exists but not when you simply are driving down the road. It never slammed the brakes on but slowed down quickly. There has to be something going on that would cause you to slowdown yourself without FSD.

I'd call phantom braking slowing down quickly and safely.

All this being said I did not renew it for the next month. Too much of a novelty now. Plus my AH was puckered up much of the time, worried that the car would simply drive off the road, or into the car ahead of you. BUT it never did anything stupid or dangerous. AT 80 mph with a semi on my left and barricades making you merge on my right it handled well but I was ready to takeover in an instant - not relaxing.

My most obvious bitch was that the car wouldn't go faster than the speed limit until I discovered how to adjust it to do so. Once I set it up it would go as fast as the car in front of me, or if that car was going slower than I wanted, it automatically changed lanes, sped up to my set speed, and continued down the road very safely.
I do find it to be cool technology. Not yet ready for prime time but getting closer. I will only pay for ut one it is outof Beta. Only time I had to take it off FSD was at the school zone. Other than that, the only issue I ran into was indecisiveness when merging. Almost took over as FSD waited a while to finally merge.
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 8:21pm   #170
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
You are completely WRONG. Maybe YOU don't read the documents at the closing table, but most do. Not "nobody or virtually nobody".

Again most are done remotely either via a mailout package or through electronic signatures via DocuSign or a similar program.

If you believe that there is a possibility that what you were sent for review prior to closing is different, then you should absolutely read the documents before signing.

How many real estate closings have you been a party to? And how long ago was your last closing?
I've been at about 20 closings, most of them were my own but also went to the closing of purchase and sale of my parents condo. I have no reason to suspect that they would change anything in the docs. I reviewed the docs sent to me but not at the closings.
Edit.. just did the math. It was about 20 closings.
Old 05-17-2024, 8:45pm   #171
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 74.8%

Thanked 1,846 Times in 1,120 Posts

Quote:
Yes I have an Iphone.

Then most likely you pay a monthly bill for the services.
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 10:00pm   #172
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bob View Post
Then most likely you pay a monthly bill for the services.
Yes there’s a monthly bill. But I didn’t know that the girl at the Verizon store provided “services”. Ima have to look into that.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:06pm   #173
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
I've been at about 20 closings, most of them were my own but also went to the closing of purchase and sale of my parents condo. I have no reason to suspect that they would change anything in the docs. I reviewed the docs sent to me but not at the closings.
Edit.. just did the math. It was about 20 closings.
Pretty sure what you signed was exactly what you reviewed. So you are good to go.

20 closings is probably above average for most.
I’ve done 20 in a year. Most years that I’ve been active I see 10-12. It has slowed and I’ll probably close under 10 this year. I’m actually ok with that, I’m plenty busy building.
Old 05-18-2024, 6:46am   #174
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 74.8%

Thanked 1,846 Times in 1,120 Posts

Quote:
Yes there’s a monthly bill. But I didn’t know that the girl at the Verizon store provided “services”. Ima have to look into that.

So you are paying them and giving all travel information along with all your contacts with any pictures to the government along with Facebook and anyone else that wants it.

Name:  rjMLpy4.gif
Views: 36
Size:  1.62 MB

YES SHE IS GIVING YOU THE FULL SERVICE
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 9:45am   #175
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

At this point, I drove over 600 miles already on FSD (had family visiting and I had to pick them up and drop them off at the airport).

So far, the system drivers very safe with little intervention needed BUT it's still far from perfect.

Other than the school zone limit which is a serious flaw, one complaint is that the car tries to hog the left lane.. I set the speed limit offset to 10%, so I'm going 77 mph in a 70 mph limit.. The car will always try to go into the left lane to pass cars and then does not go back to the middle lane. Based on Florida law, the left lane is to PASS and you should always move back to the center or right lane whenever you are not passing and the lane right of you is not blocked.
Another minor issue is that FSD seems way to cautious. I like to go on yellow if there is enough time to get through the intersection on yellow. However, FSD sides on the side of caution and slows down and will stop at the light even though there was enough time to complete the turn before turning red. Also, left turns take a lot longer than a human pilot would take.
System is very cautious when making turns with oncoming traffic. I sometimes lose my patience and take over as FSD takes too long to make up it's mind. Overall, from a safety perspective, FSD did fine except for the school zone issue. I personally wouldn't have the patience to wait to make a turn at a intersection without a light if there is a lot of traffic. At this state, I personally would not pay for it but considering the progress, the system is A LOT better than it was a year ago when it was the last time that I used it. It's progressing nicely. Most of my interventions were because I either lost patience or school zones but other than that, it does a pretty good job. No close calls. It recognizes pedestrians very well and drives accordingly. Still some work to be done but there is progress and the system is getting better . Drove through several construction zones without any issues.
Old 05-21-2024, 9:50am   #176
Vandelay Industries
Barn Stall Owner #14/32

Thanked 13,685 Times in 5,254 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4810

Quote:
At this point, I drove over 600 miles already on FSD (had family visiting and I had to pick them up and drop them off at the airport).

So far, the system drivers very safe with little intervention needed BUT it's still far from perfect.

Other than the school zone limit which is a serious flaw, one complaint is that the car tries to hog the left lane.. I set the speed limit offset to 10%, so I'm going 77 mph in a 70 mph limit.. The car will always try to go into the left lane to pass cars and then does not go back to the middle lane. Based on Florida law, the left lane is to PASS and you should always move back to the center or right lane whenever you are not passing and the lane right of you is not blocked.
Another minor issue is that FSD seems way to cautious. I like to go on yellow if there is enough time to get through the intersection on yellow. However, FSD sides on the side of caution and slows down and will stop at the light even though there was enough time to complete the turn before turning red. Also, left turns take a lot longer than a human pilot would take.
System is very cautious when making turns with oncoming traffic. I sometimes lose my patience and take over as FSD takes too long to make up it's mind. Overall, from a safety perspective, FSD did fine except for the school zone issue. I personally wouldn't have the patience to wait to make a turn at a intersection without a light if there is a lot of traffic. At this state, I personally would not pay for it but considering the progress, the system is A LOT better than it was a year ago when it was the last time that I used it. It's progressing nicely. Most of my interventions were because I either lost patience or school zones but other than that, it does a pretty good job. No close calls. It recognizes pedestrians very well and drives accordingly. Still some work to be done but there is progress and the system is getting better . Drove through several construction zones without any issues.
Just like an actual Tesla driver.
Vandelay Industries is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vandelay Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 9:53am   #177
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 59.0%

Thanked 34,184 Times in 12,031 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Here's another real world situation I wonder how FSD would handle. This is on a two lane highway where the speed limit is 45 mph. There's a walking/biking trail that crosses it. If the flashing lights are not on or there isn't anyone waiting to cross you don't have to slow down. If the lights are flashing or there are people waiting to cross, you must stop. There's also a red stop sign on the warning sign on the right, but it simply shows where to stop if it's required.

What would FSD do here?
Attached Images

Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 9:59am   #178
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post
Just like an actual Tesla driver.
Most of them drive exactly the speed limit in the middle lane... because if they go the speed that they would need to go in order to actually pass somebody, their range goes to negative shit.

This is a chart from Tesla.com for the Model S.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/driving-range-model-s-family

The sitting and not turning thing, however, is spot on for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 10:01am   #179
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 59.0%

Thanked 34,184 Times in 12,031 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Damn, I didn't realize the range dropped that fast as speed increased. And that's with HVAC off, which most drivers don't do. I guess that's why I don't see a lot of Teslas on I-70 in Utah where the speed limit is 80 (and most traffic is going 85-90) and it can be a long way between chargers.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 10:06am   #180
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Most of them drive exactly the speed limit in the middle lane... because if they go the speed that they would need to go in order to actually pass somebody, their range goes to negative shit.

This is a chart from Tesla.com for the Model S.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/driving-range-model-s-family

The sitting and not turning thing, however, is spot on for them.
They haven't made the "85" version Model S for many years. This must be a very very old post.. I believe that they discontinued the "85" pack versions of the Model S in 2016, 8 years ago..

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic