Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 12.9%

Thanked 33,113 Times in 14,188 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122
Default New Workshop, musings on life and meaning

for those of you following, it's been an up and down last week or so, with the latest estimate for the new workshop coming in around 180-200k yeah. expensive toy.

at one point last week, i was ready to abandon the idea, lick my wounds, and move on, settling for using my converted barn about 6 months out of the year for my workshop. then Mrs. DAB and I had a long talk after dinner, went thru the numbers, looked at our goals (not planning to pass along any inheritance to anyone, sorry Spence), and decided we could do this and not affect our lifestyle (it's fabulous ).

so talked to the architect yesterday, informed him this is still a go, and we plan to talk with our financial advisor tomorrow morning to sort out the best way to make this happen (aside from robbing a bank or begging money from Spence!!).

after my little heart incident a few years ago, i had a change in attitude toward life. i've abandoned the idea of setting up a for profit woodworking business - don't need the headache or the income. but i do enjoy designing and making things of utility and beauty with my hands. so in another month or so it'll be warm enough to get back into the barn on a regular basis and i can make some things both for our house and for others for fun. hang in there Paul.

as i've stated before, if i make you something, send me what you think is right. if you think it's crap, just keep that to yourself and say 'thank you'. if i send you something and tell you it's a gift. take my word for it. i mean it.

so that's the short version. hoping drawings are ready next week sometime, then it's on to permitting, wait about 3-4 weeks, and then start digging dirt.

thank you to all who chimed in in the other thread with design ideas, but I've got to trust my architect to do what is right, as well as the other professionals who have contributed.

DAB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post: